Homework is an integral part of the learning process at Worden. The following is a brief explanation of the aims and expectations the Academy holds in terms of home-based learning:
Homework is defined as any work that students are asked to undertake outside of lesson time, either on their own, or with the aid of parents and carers. Therefore, homework is not always required to be completed at home, but also during after school homework clubs such as the homework lab or the revision hub (KS4). We see work completed outside of lesson time as a valuable part of a student’s learning. Homework is set by teachers using School Synergy and pupils should also record their homework in their student planners.
The purpose of homework at Worden
The school regards the purpose of homework as being to:
- Provide learners with the opportunity to work on an activity that is relevant to learning outcomes, or that contributes to gaining qualifications/accreditations.
- Develop an effective partnership between the school, parents, carers in pursuing the academic aims of the school and the development of the child.
- Consolidate and reinforce skills and understanding prior to the following lesson.
- Extend learning across the curriculum, for example through additional reading.
- Encourage students as they get older to develop the confidence, self-discipline and independence to develop organisational skills.
We hope that our students feel a sense of personal satisfaction in a task completed well and their efforts recognised and praised both at school and home. In this respect, using systems such as the 'R' (reward) system and the Homework Presentation Awards (HPA) we hope to recognise achievement and most importantly, effort.
The HPA is a simple system which aims to recognise the following:
- Presentation of work
- Independent learning
- Creating a culture of a 'Growth Mind-set'
- Development of Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (SPAG)
The system is based upon a 5 star criteria which aims to reward students for work which meets the criteria as well as meeting the high standards and expectations from the teacher setting the work.
New Homework and Presentation Award HPA Criteria (PDF)
Live Homework Timetables for each Year Group can be viewed under Year Focus: